Filling out the checkout form is the last step between the customer and the seal of the purchase. With Flexible Checkout Fields, it is possible to customize the form fields and add checkout fields with prices. Change total price based on user choice & additional fees on WooCommerce checkout.
Let's assume you need additional fees on the WooCommerce checkout so that customers can pay for:
- Gift wrapping service or additional packaging (e.g. thermal bag)
- Purchase insurance or extended warranty
- Other fees & services!
Change the total price based on user choice directly in the WooCommerce checkout! Let's add new fields and customize your checkout page with Flexible Checkout Fields!
Table of contents
- WooCommerce additional fees on checkout (programmatically with a plugin)
- Change WooCommerce checkout total price - Types
- WooCommerce additional fees on checkout - Steps
- Displaying WooCommerce checkout fields with prices
- Summary & more about the plugin
WooCommerce additional fees on checkout (programmatically with a plugin)
I will use the Flexible Checkout Fields plugin to add custom fields with prices so that I can implement additional fees on the checkout page.
Change WooCommerce checkout total price - Types
👉🏼 The change in the final purchase amount depends on the selected type of price and its rate:
- Fixed - net price set in currency units and independent of the basket
- Percentage of Subtotal (ex. VAT) - the amount set as a percentage and dependent on the net sum of the basket
- Percentage of Subtotal (incl. VAT) - the amount set as a percentage and dependent on the gross sum of the basket
- Percentage of Total - the amount set as a percentage and dependent on the total amount (basket + coupons + shipping costs)
WooCommerce additional fees on checkout step by step
- Install and activate the Flexible Checkout Fields PRO plugin.
- Go to WooCommerce → Checkout Fields.
- Add a new field.
- Add options and other settings - if required (e.g. for the "Radio" field). Save the settings.
IMPORTANT - Do not set the same labels for the options.
- Select the "Pricing" tab and activate the "Enable price" checkbox. Save the settings if the checkbox is not visible.
- If the field type does not have options (e.g. "Text") - a single row with settings will appear.
- If the field type has options (e.g. "Select") - there will be independent rows with settings next to each option.
- Set the price type by selecting it from the "Price type" list:
- Fixed - set the price without tax
- Percentage of Subtotal (ex. VAT) - set a percentage
- Percentage of Subtotal (incl. VAT) - set a percentage
- Percentage of Total - set a percentage
- Set the tax class by selecting it from the "Tax class" list. Save the settings.
💡 IMPORTANT - The "Tax class" option will appear when:
- the price assigned to the field is positive
- and when the "Enable tax rates and calculations" option is activated in WooCommerce. If you're not sure how to do it, have a look at this article.
Displaying WooCommerce checkout fields with prices
The assigned price will appear in the store as a gross total price or as a percentage of the subtotal/total.
- Checkout. The price will appear in brackets next to the field/option label. Each selected field with the price will also be shown in the "Your order" section.
- Order Summary. The price will appear as the amount included in the order
- WooCommerce > Orders. The fields here are editable so it is possible to change both the label and the price or even add tax.
💡 PRO TIP
All fields in the "Billing" and "Shipping" sections are cached so the fields placed there are saved and then autocompleted during the next purchases. The other sections are no longer cached. Please read the documentation for more information.
Summary & more about the plugin
Additional fields on the Checkout page are a simple but very effective tool for the best possible adaptation of WooCommerce to a specific store and its offer. The Flexible Checkout Fields plugin gains a new dimension of use with the option to assign a price to a field.